Lightning strikes, leaky roofs, fallen trees – whatever the cause, our engineers always get busier when the weather turns nasty.
The costs of loss-of-business due to weather events can mount rapidly. So having a good Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and robust back-up and restore procedures are vital to business continuity.
At the very least, make sure you have adequate surge protection on all your IT and PABX equipment. Evotec can advise on the right surge protection gear to suit your needs.
However, if your business really needs to get back up and running quickly and efficiently after an outage, you should look at the range of Smart UPS from world-leader, APC.
The cost can easily be justified in terms of reducing downtime, loss of business and stress when that lightning bolt lands a little too close.
For example, for a small-to-medium-sized business Evotec can supply a 1500VA LCS 230V APC Smart-UPS for just $879 (ex-GST and installation).
This is an excellent price for a unit that will reliably protect connected loads from surges, spikes, lightning, and other power disturbances.
A unit like this will provide temporary power to connected servers, switches, telephony equipment and other gear to allow you to carry out a backup and power down gracefully.
The more power your systems consume during an outage, the less time the battery will last. So it’s important to have a qualified engineer check your requirements before you order. Evotec can analyse your backup times and power-down power requirements to give you an accurate estimate of the required load. In this particular APC unit, the battery will give you 23 minutes grace under a 500 watt load.
- Distinctive audible alarms let you know if the unit is on battery, if the battery is low or if there is an overload condition.
- LED status indicators
- Serial or USB connectivity provides management of the UPS via a serial port or UPS
- Hot-swappable batteries ensure clean, uninterrupted power to protected equipment while batteries are being replaced
- Predictive failure notification provides early-warning fault analysis ensuring proactive component replacement.
- Battery failure notification for early-warning fault analysis on batteries enabling timely preventive maintenance.
- Automatically starts up the connected equipment upon the return of utility power.
- Periodic battery self-test ensures early detection of a battery that needs to be replaced.
- Disconnected battery notification warns when a battery is not available to provide backup power.
- Remote power management of the UPS over the network.
In complex of IT environments, reliable power distribution to your data centre racks is essential.
Evotec can install a power management solution that will enable IT managers to maintain system availability of increasing higher density equipment.
Evotec recommends APC Power Distribution Units, which manage power capacity and functionality for critical network, server and data center equipment.
APC provides a wide array of power distribution solutions designed to increase the manageability and efficiency of your data center.
Power Distribution solutions provide real-time remote load monitoring of connected equipment and individual outlet power control for remote power recycling, manage power-up or power-down sequencing of equipment.
IT and Data Center Managers rely on APC PDU alarms to warn of potential power overloads before critical IT failures occur.
For example, APC Metered-by-outlet Rack Power Distribution Units (PDUs) provide active metering of individual outlets to enable energy optimisation and detailed capacity planning.
User-defined alarm thresholds mitigate risk with real-time local and remote alerts to warn of potential circuit overloads.
Metered-by-outlet rack PDUs provide a more granular level of power usage data to allow IT Managers to make more precise decisions on load balancing and right-sizing IT environments to lower total cost of ownership.
Metered-by-outlet Rack PDUs include individual outlet power metering, a temperature/humidity sensor port, and locking IEC receptacles. Users can access and configure Metered-by-outlet rack PDUs through secure Web, SNMP, or Telnet Interfaces and are complemented by APC Centralised Management platforms using InfraStruxure Central, Capacity Manager and Change Manager.